Friday 9 October 2015

Graphics | Type face experimentation

A vital part of graphic design is the 
development of typography. Therefore,
as part of the graphics cycle I devoted
a number of pages of my sketch book 
to type experimentation as well as 
graphic orientated notes. 

Some of the notes taken during one of
the presentations based on a powerful
story about Iranian based graphic
designer Ronny Edry. His work has
become known world wide because
of the message communicated through
his work to Israel conforming for peace
between the two countries. Great
message and the video on this topic
is in the link below:

https://www.ted.com/talks/israel_and
_iran_a_love_story?language=en


Nevertheless, one of the exercises
completed during the graphic cycle was
to design multiple re-imaginings of a
chosen letter using different mark
making methods, mediums, objects
, anything!

I went for the letter 'E' that I
experimented with. The end result
would result with the best idea
being enlarged onto A4 and
presented as part of the alphabet
with the rest of the other letters

produced by my peers. 

The 'E' designs I experimented with
used mediums such as pen, charcoal
,pencil, fine liner including white ink,
paper clips, masking tap and card.
From the diversity of materials used
I gathered a library of designs that I
could select from for my final design.
(Above)

The final design was therefore a result
of multiple mediums combined to
produce a compelling piece. It uses
fine liner as well as scissors to create
a torn/scratch aesthetic that cuts through
the page to invoke a sense of brutality
and wildness. I love the outcome of this
process because of the themes it
communicates to the audience.

Nevertheless, if I was to take part in this
exercise again I would definitely take a
different approach to this brief possibly
investigating 3D or digital media as well.
(Above)
The final alphabet presented at the end
of the exercise. Most of the designs
remain to the page, however the stand
out pieces such as the 'Z' start to
develop an idea of 3D design which I
love that they've integrated into a
majority of 2D design. (Above)

No comments:

Post a Comment