Friday 9 October 2015

Graphics | Poetry & letter forms


Graphics is the visual presentation of
communication through text image and
even sound. As a result, we were tasked
to create lines of poetry and combine
them with our groups to produce a
piece that evoked visual communication
through text. 

In theory this plan sounded ideal.
However, the wide range of descriptive
writing between our group made the
poem in-cohesive and wacky.

Nonetheless, this was an interesting
exercise, even though the final
form of literature was disjointed,

the task to make it legible was 
invaluable. However in the future 
I would communicate cooperatively 
with my team mates before writing 
separate lines to create a more logical
and consistent outcome.

Afterwards, the brief was given to create
an A5 piece of work that was based
upon the font helvetica. Renowned for
it's formal and rigid design we had to
re-invent the type differently than before. 
As a result, I started by testing the 
various words or phrases that could be
communicated through helvetica to 
decide on a final one I could 
communicate in a new re-invention of
Helvetica. 

Finally, I decided on the word 'PLAY'
after experimenting with other verbs 
describing actions. I chose this so that
the word would have a direct impact on
the style of design I would create as 
helvetica's normal type face is often 
identified as strictly uniformed and dull.  

Subsequently, I produced a piece that 
I wanted to strip helvetica to it's bones
and fill it with a lively sense of colour and
playfulness. I hectically etched various 
colours to invoke play into the type 
producing a layered piece with an
intriguing 
mix of colour. 



Overall, the exercise was an insight into
manipulating old design for new 
purposes. I really enjoyed the brief and 
the conclusion was a piece I wouldn't
of created otherwise. In future cases I
would like to experiment further with
other type fonts such as VAG rounded
or rockwell. Other peers work 
investigated further exploring type 
much more freely without the constraints
of the helvetica type. Even though,
the task obliged the use of helvetica.
Nonetheless, the outcomes produced 
were brilliant varying from graffiti inspired
design to pictograms. (Above)




No comments:

Post a Comment