Monday 14 September 2015

Victoria & Albert Museum | What is Luxury?


The question raised above was the focus of the V&A
museum visit I participated in. The following question
was a featured exhibition that expressed a number of
historical identities true luxuries. Varying from the
innovative to the non-essential as well as to the most
exclusive of luxuries, legacy.

Following my previous thoughts about identity during
my last post I found this visit compelling as I
discovered that luxury can actually mean distinctive
differences for diverse personalities. Therefore in
addition to the luxuries portrayed in the exhibition I
have also attached a number of other primary images
from the V&A I found were personal luxuries of my
own.
Unfortunately, the journey started with a rather dull
and crowded service to Victoria. The general mood
on a service to London in early morning rush hour
is definitely not my highlight of the day. 
 
Nonetheless, I finally arrived at the V&A,
only to find I was at the wrong
entrance...

However, the day soon picked up from
here as I soon found the rest of the
group and explored the exhibition. 


Above shows the working piece that was created with a fairly basic means of
tools. The technology above was a device that poured sand in a 360 degree
motion with a balance weight countering the pouring device. This systematically
created the pattern portrayed in the photograph.


The chandelier above is composed of LED lights and
real dandelion seeds used to insulate the lighting.
Using a revolutionary power source the chandelier
uses a 3- dimensional copper wiring circuit to conduct
each LED light on the chandelier. The fusion of nature
and technology is a partnership of polar opposites
working cooperatively in beautiful harmony. 



An example of non-essential luxury.

The following images are a collection of
pieces and objects that I expressed
personally intrigue towards as my own
luxuries.  


Specifically, coming from a product
design as well as graphic design
background the focus of post
modern typography and design
fascinates me and is a driving force
of one of my favourite luxuries,
graphic communication.

DADA the late 19th Century art
movement which began in
central Europe. The movement is
renowned for it's unique designs
as well as its vocal support for left
wing political development.


Examples of product design that shaped early 20th
century design. Varying from pieces of Bauhaus,
post modernism and Memphis. 


Personally all these movements of design have played
significant roles on my work and therefore my identity.
My idea of luxury therefore is the belief that people 
are gifted with the variety of choice and that this is
entirely different for each and every person.

Next was the trip to the Serpentine Gallery to explore
further exhibitions exploring the topic of identity.




South Kensington, outside the railway
station. The interval between the V&A
and the Serpentine gallery. A grumpy
man looks on, probably still waiting
for a bit of positivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment