Monday 14 September 2015

Passport | Identity

As a evaluation of the recent exhibitions
and work I explored to do with identity
Ravensbourne briefed us to complete
a passport/handbook that summed up
our identity in a creative way.

Enjoying work that leans toward
typography and visually bold
design were therefore the bulk
of areas I featured in this handbook.

However, I also hope I have showcased
a diverse range of work and the
admiration I have for contrasting bodies
of art.
Above: A compilation of passports halfway through
the given brief. 


A quick snapshot of the final piece.
It features a collection of work from
ex-students at Ravensbourne as well
as work from early 20th century
institutes for design such as AIGA
(American institute of Graphic Arts).

Above: The final page to my passport
conveys a vibrant assortment of colour.
I used this as a background to the
stencil I cut out on the exterior cover
of the handbook. This cut out is in the
design of my initials LN hopefully
revealing my name in a dynamic
fashion. This can be seen below. 


Sketch pieces including fine liner media
incorporated in the pieces above and
below.


Above: The uncle Sam poster is a piece
I have always been fascinated by. I love
the techniques and design of 
propaganda but have never been 
fortunate enough to respond to the 
uncle Sam poster specifically. As a 
result i jumped at the chance to 
feature him in my passport as a 
significant part of my identity.  


Above: Examples of in your face
advertisement in the 1980's. This type
of inflated graphic communication was
well known in America and remnants of
this style of design can still be seen
in modern advertisement today. 

Above: All the fight club rules written
over a typographically rare display of
rustic colour with modern techniques.
The rules are purposely hidden to relate
to the films most iconic saying.

Above: A twist on the previous design
of the greatest superheroes now dawns
the face of the greatest super villain in
a mega bit minimal design. The
purposely torn and rugged page
emphasises the identity of the joker and
is an interesting medium of graphic
design.

Above: An experiment of mixed media
confined to a small area on the page to
culminate in a response that is
remarkably bold but also bare.

Above: The conclusion of the task set was everyones
identity being summarised and displayed for others
to view in an overwhelming assembly of passports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment